In an age when anyone can hang out a shingle on the internet as a book editor, your manuscript is safe with me. Editors aren’t just people who love books or were good at English in school. They’re trained professionals with a specific skill set and daily immersion in the publishing industry. I keep up with editorial and publishing trends so your manuscript gets edited to today’s standards, for today’s publishers and readers.
Some editors take in editing from publishing houses. I prefer to work directly with authors. That moment when you understand how a new-to-you storytelling technique makes your whole story come together? That’s what lights my creative fires. I want to help you find clarity.
- Bachelor’s degrees in journalism (BA) and fine arts (BFA)
- More than 25 years of professional writing and editing experience
- See my online resume at LinkedIn
- Member, Editorial Freelancers Association
- Charter member, Association of Independent Publishing Professionals
- Commitment to ongoing continuing education
- Intermediate and Advanced Developmental Editing for Fiction, Editorial Freelancers Association, 2015
- Book mapping for fiction, Editorial Freelancers Association, 2016
- Rhetoric of Story with author and journalist Damien Walter, 2016
- Business of developmental editing with author/editor/publishing pro Jennifer Lawler, 2017
- Book publishing seminar with industry leader Jane Friedman, 2017
- Active membership in leading professional editorial online discussion lists and groups
- Articles for authors and editors syndicated at BookMachine
- Represented by Creative Circle
I’m also a working writer. I’m on your side of the proverbial red pen on a regular basis, and I understand what helps and what doesn’t help from a writer’s point of view.
And of course, I love books. I love to chat about books and writing and editing on Twitter and Facebook. Away from my desk, I’m a book group leader and a voracious lover of books (and that heady grass-and-vanilla scent we love so well—mmm). I want your book to become something I’d crave curling up with in my reading chair, too.