Must-do publishing tasks & decisions
Once your book is edited, where can you turn for reliable advice on the next steps in the publishing process? Because this page serves as the foundation of the curated list I share with my own editing clients, I update this page regularly as I discover new favorites.
Traditional publishing, self-publishing, or something else?
- The Author’s Guide to Finding & Hiring an Editor Start off with the support of a compatible editor and the right type of editing and guidance for your book.
- Should you self-publish or traditionally publish? A high-level view of the differences.
- Pros and Cons of Traditional Publishing Versus Self-Publishing All the details you wondered about, plus a few hard realities that may help you seal your decision.
- Everything you’ve always wanted to know: Hybrid publishing Between traditional publishing and doing it all yourself, there lies a third path: hybrid publishing.
- Key book publishing paths A visual summary of the options.
- Indie Publishing Paths: What’s Your Master Plan? Choose your publishing method based on your personal goals and measures for success.
- Writer Beware An industry-vetted list of publishing schemes, scams, and pitfalls.
- Writing Awards and Contests Rated and Reviewed
How much money can you make?
- Author Income: How to make a living from your writing
- How much do authors earn? It depends which business model you follow.
- What’s a six-figure book deal really worth? The bottom line may be more of a bottom than you thought.
- The Evolution of an Author: How to go from $0 to $100k from your writing
Queries and submissions
- Writer’s Market 2020 The bible of where to sell your book.
- Manuscript Wishlist Agents and acquiring editors list the kind of manuscripts they want to receive.
- Query Shark Tricks and traps of writing and revising query letters so they actually work.
- Writing a Novel Synopsis Once you understand what a synopsis should accomplish, yours will be easier to write.
- How to Write a Killer Synopsis Tune up your synopsis writing skills.
- The Shit No One Tells You About Writing podcast Insights and critique of listener query letters and opening pages with an author and not one but two literary agents.
- Should you get professional editing before you query? Figure out what’s right for your book.
- What not to say to a literary agent or publisher Gaffes and faux-pas to avoid.
- Record-Keeping Made Easy: Download These 6 Free Writing Trackers Save time and keep track of what you’ve sent where.
- How to Publish an Ebook: Resources for Authors Superb, updated collection of resources for self-publishing.
- How Much Does It Cost to Self-Publish a Book? Need-to-know intel.
- What Does Self-Publishing Cost? A slightly deeper look into this question.
- Getting Ready to Publish Here’s the 101 course you need. This entire site is solid gold for self-publishers.
- Self-Publishing Checklist Everything you need to accomplish to self-publish your book, including timetables.
- Making a Production and Marketing Bible Project management techniques for self-publishers.
- ISBN 101 for Self-Publishers How to get your book’s ISBN number(s).
- Industry Standards Checklist for a Professionally Published Book Standards published in March 2017 by the Independent Book Publishers Association.
- Understanding Crowdfunding as a Self-Publishing Option How crowdfunding can help you raise the seed money to fund self-publishing.
- Working With Cover and Interior Designers What you need help with, why, and how to get it.
- Book Cover Redesign If at first you don’t succeed, redesign. Check out the inspiring before and after images.
- Book Cover Design Fundamentals What to consider before hiring a designer.
- 9 Ways to Get the Very Best Out of Your Book Cover Designer What to do, what not to do.
- Book Cover Design Resources Your book cover is the face you show the world; make sure yours is the one you want readers to see.
Blurbs and retail page copy
- How to Write a Blurb This itty-bitty sales tool can be challenging to write. Here’s how.
- 4 Critical Edits to Make to Your Book’s Description Copy This is where e-book sales are clinched. Give readers the information they need to decide to buy your book.
- How Writers Can Optimize Their Book’s Description on Amazon Optimize your e-book’s information to help the right readers connect with your book.
- The Importance of Subcategories in Book Search Success Search algorithms don’t work by magic; they bring up your book because you’ve correctly categorized it.
Marketing and promotion
- The 15-Tab Book Marketing Master Spreadsheet Plan and execute a coordinated marketing campaign.
- Publishing a Sequel: 8 Book Marketing Tips You Need to Know Got a series in you? Here’s what you need to know before you even finish the first book.
- Amazon Link Anatomy: What You Don’t Know Might Be Killing Your Reviews Learn how to trim the crust off your book links—and why.
- How to Get Your Book Distributed: What Self-Published Authors Need to Know It’s not necessary to pay someone to distribute your book via online retailers.
- Book Marketing Resources for Authors A top-notch resource listing.
- 7 Book Marketing Services to Question Should you pay for these services?
- Ace Your Next Book Launch An actionable plan with step-by-step instructions.
- Great book marketing advice—people to follow
Want more resources like these? Sign up and get Baker’s Dozen, 13 things for your writing, fresh out of the editorial oven every month.
If you’re looking for an editor to accelerate your journey from new writer to emerging author, that editor could be me. Let’s work together via short-term coaching for story development, long-term coaching to hone your writing, or story or line editing (my editing specialties). Contact me now—let’s talk.