(Lisa’s) the real deal. Simply awesome. In the last six months, I have learned so much. And more than that, the voice inside my head has changed her tune. Now I hear, “You’re going to do this.”—Emile Horne
That moment when your breath catches and your skin prickles as you realize how a new storytelling technique brings your story to life? That’s what lights my creative fires as an editor and story coach.
Let’s turn your book edit into a master class on fiction writing. I’ll show you how to write smarter manuscripts from the start, beginning with your story concept and continuing all the way through getting the words onto the page.
This is where theory and practice come together. As Pablo Picasso once exhorted, I encourage you to learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. As a classically trained dancer, I approach creative fluency through a grounding of structure, form, and technique.
As an editor, I can polish your book for you. As a coach, I can show you how to do it for yourself.
Either way, get ready to discover strategies and technique you’ll use the rest of your writing career.
A seasoned professional communicator
Over more than thirty years as a writer and editor, I’ve edited and coached developing journalists, content writers, and bloggers. Now I work exclusively with emerging fiction authors.
– I’ve been in the trenches as a journalist, magazine editor, managing editor, corporate communications manager, content writer, foreign language and j-school tutor, and communications consultant; see my online resume at LinkedIn
– Degrees in journalism (BA, news/editorial) and ballet (BFA)—steeped in the yin-yang disciplines of print publication and studio/stage cultures
– Professional affiliations
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- ACES: The Society for Editing
- Ongoing commitment to continuing professional education
- Editorial communities of practice including Copyediting-L and Editors Association of Earth groups
– As seen in:
- The Editing Podcast—How to save money and time with book coaching
- The Business of Book Coaching Summit
- The Editing Podcast—18 writing craft blogs for editors and authors
- State of Digital Publishing
- Writing workshop instructor, Allen Public Library
- Association of Independent Publishing Professionals
- TheBookDesigner.com’s Carnival of the Indies
- The Editing Blog
– Represented by Creative Circle
“You need a great and wonderful editor to enhance and embolden the story; I found that with Lisa.”—Troy Christensen
editor, book coach, story coach story consultant