From hiring someone else to fix your story
To learning how your story works under the hood
I find that most people know what a story is until they sit down to write one.—Flannery O’Connor
Traditional editing extrudes your words through a lengthy process of expensive manuscript edits before you’re even sure you’ve got a good thing going on.
There’s a better way.
Accelerator coaching is short-term, affordable coaching that starts with your story. Don’t waste time and money polishing the writing of a story that isn’t yet ready for liftoff. Accelerator coaching shows you how to take charge of your novel’s development for yourself. You’ll learn the storytelling and writing techniques to fully implement your creative intentions.
I love using the Plot Accelerator prior to drafting a book. Based on my experience, it results in faster, cleaner drafting and reduced need for major revisions and edits. Reader reviews of my first Plot Accelerator-planned book are a full star level higher than its predecessor, making it a valuable part of my process.—K.A. Wiggins
The Plot Accelerator
I love how you’ve distilled all these approaches … into a practical guide. Your material takes it from theory to practice. Brilliant!—Scott Jarol
Ever get the feeling that something in your story isn’t working right?
No more crossing your fingers, slogging through 80,000-plus words, and handing over an inscrutable manuscript to an editor to fix. The Plot Accelerator gives you insight into the principles underlying your instinctual story choices.
Now you can make informed creative choices.
Now you can see what your reader feedback was really getting at.
Now you can make sense of your editor’s recommendations.
After completing the Plot Accelerator course with Lisa … here’s to words that grow organically! Stories shouldn’t be forced. Motivation drives the characters. Characters drive the action! Action and reaction IS the story.—J. C. Thomas
The Plot Accelerator is short-term, one-on-one coaching that translates your creative ideas into story and plot. Get up to speed with compact written tutorials—no time-consuming video sessions to plow through—and then analyze how the techniques work in your own manuscript. One-on-one feedback at every step shows you how story principles are working for you and your story.
- Find out how to stop writing for yourself and start writing for the readers you want to buy your book.
- Choose the point of view that supports the story, not the one that “feels right” or that you just like best.
- Find out why narrative tense works precisely opposite of the way you probably assumed.
- Discover how character motivation and conflict drive every aspect of your story.
- Learn how stories are about characters happening to the plot, not a plot happening to the characters.
- Develop a character arc that reveals the story beneath the plot—or find out why your story doesn’t need a character arc of change and what to do instead.
The Plot Accelerator is the essential story development hack for busy people who don’t have time to pick through courses and books on the craft of writing fiction. It’s everything you need to know plus a one-on-one analysis of your own novel—theory plus practice. Accelerator coaching takes about six to eight weeks; packages begin at $749.
Highly recommend the Plot Accelerator to authors as one of the best investments you can make in your writing career.—Vikki Walton
The Scene Accelerator
Getting your story from outline to scenes is another one of those processes that can seem inscrutable until you learn the technique to the madness. The Scene Accelerator takes the mystery out of building effective scenes that move the plot forward and deepen characterization and setting.
In How Scenes Work, you’ll learn the anatomy of an effective scene and sequel scene, how to use them together, how to build strong scene goals, and how to avoid the number one mistake new authors make when outlining their scenes.
In Scene Construction Materials, you’ll learn about the five types of writing (called narrative modes) you’ll use to build scenes, find out how to decide when to use scene and when to use summary—the infamous showing versus telling—and discover how to assemble the very smallest units of narrative form to create scenes.
In Scenecraft, you’ll learn the 3 W’s, the screenwriting technique of going in late and getting out early, and how to find your book’s sweet spots for scene and chapter length.
Scene Accelerator pricing begins at $99.
Writing fiction is harder than it looks. One-on-0ne book coaching helps you identify and target whatever’s not working right in your story yet. We focus on your book and your writing, from untangling story knots to smoothing out point of view and narrative distance.
One-on-one book coaching is for you if:
- You’re the kind of person who YouTubes a home repair before trying it yourself.
- You learn best in smaller bites, a little at a time.
- You’re having trouble with a particular element of your story; perhaps the point of view seems off, or you can’t decide whether the story sounds better in present tense, or your scenes don’t seem to do much beyond talk, talk, talk.
- You like to know how things work—including stories.
- You want to see examples from your own writing of what’s working and what’s not.
- You’d prefer to shore up any blind spots or weaknesses in your fiction technique before filling an entire manuscript with them.
Coaching blocks begin at $449.
Lisa is undoubtedly some manner of sorceress when it comes to identifying and fixing the dissonance that can so easily creep between the story you thought you wanted to tell and the one that landed on the page.—Luke R. Mitchell
Story Incubator book coaching
The Story Incubator is a comprehensive program of development for your novel based on thoughtful, incremental coaching and editing. Whether you’re just beginning to write or you’ve already completed your manuscript, the Story Incubator shows you how to nurture your story from the kernel of a creative concept through story development, plotting, and writing to a flourishing manuscript.
Story Incubator coaching is for you if:
- This is the first novel you’ve written.
- You like following best practices and proven, classic techniques.
- You want coaching and editing.
- You want editing your book to teach you more about writing novels.
Now I can’t imagine working with another editor . . . I really felt I was being pushed in the right direction from start to finish.—J.C. Thomas
Looking for an editor to accelerate your journey from new writer to emerging author? That editor could be me. Or maybe you want a book coach to steer you through story development and writing; I can help you with that, too.
If you’re ready to accelerate your novel, let’s work together.